Product & Roadmap
- Is the platform available in different languages?
- How easy is it to upgrade from one eXo version to another?
- How easy is it to migrate from my existing solution to eXo?
- How do you define your roadmap?
- What is your version policy? How often is a new version released?
- Can I request a feature?
- Do you have a beta program? How can I preview upcoming versions?
Branding & Integrations
- Can I modify the look and feel of your software to fit my company colors and logo ? Can I modify the home page layout?
- What environments is your software compatible with?
- What databases is your software compatible with?
- What operating systems is your software compatible with?
- What application servers is your software compatible with?
- Does eXo provide an API for integration to other software ?
- Can you integrate with my Enterprise Directory or with my in-house User Management system?
- Can I achieve Single Sign-On with eXo Platform?
Still have questions? Contact Us
Product & Roadmap
1. Is the platform available in different languages?
Yes. eXo Platform is available in many languages. Refer to our supported environments page for the full list of supported languages with current version.
2. How easy is it to upgrade from one eXo version to another?
eXo Platform tries to ensure backward compatibility and minimize time and work needed for upgrades. We encourage all customers to follow eXo Platform releases closely to do small upgrades, rather than big upgrades irregularly. Refer to the Maintenance Program for a full understanding of our version policy. On a non-customized installation, upgrades are designed to be seamless. A simple restart is often enough; data migration routines (if any) can execute automatically when needed. The migration effort on customized systems largely depends on whether best practices have been followed, the depths of the customizations and their reliance on unsupported APIs.
3. How easy is it to migrate from my existing solution to eXo?
eXo Platform tends to support a wide range of interoperability standards, which facilitates migrations. However, a technical study will be necessary to evaluate how easy the migration will be. Contact us for such an evaluation.
4. How do you define your roadmap?
Our roadmap is defined and established by our product management team. They prioritize changes that deliver value to our customers and community. The best way to suggest a new feature is to request and discuss it here. The most voted-for requests get the most attention. Our Roadmap page is actively maintained and we encourage anyone interested in eXo Platform to watch it.
5. What is your version policy? How often is a new version released?
We release Major, Minor and Maintenance versions. Major versions may introduce significant architectural changes and require migration. Minor versions represent evolutions over a Major stream and are designed to be compatible and provide seamless upgrades. Maintenance versions deal with stability, security and performance enhancements and are designed to be drop-in replacements. There is no pre-established rhythm for Major versions. Minor versions are usually expected to ship every 8 to 12 months and Maintenance versions are released every 3 to 6 months. Read our Maintenance Program page for full details.
6. Can I request a feature?
Yes. The best way to suggest a new feature is to request and discuss it here.
7. Do you have a beta program? How can I preview upcoming versions?
We don’t run a formal beta program but, as an open source vendor, we work in the open and upcoming changes are available at any time in source code. Community edition is released weekly for early adopters to try and send feedback.
Branding & Integrations
1. Can I modify the look and feel of your software to fit my company colors and logo ? Can I modify the home page layout?
Administrators have access to a Branding screen that lets them choose a logo for the top bar and color theme. Beside that, more advanced styling can be done through CSS or via a custom skin add-on.
2. What environments is your software compatible with?
eXo Platform is compatible with a wide range of operating systems, databases and other IT components, but only some of them are fully supported. Refer to the Supported Environments page for the recommended environments.
3. What databases is your software compatible with?
eXo Platform is compatible with most widespread relational databases such as MySQL, Postgres, Oracle or SQL Server. Refer to Supported Environments for full details.
4. What operating systems is your software compatible with?
eXo Platform can be installed on most popular Linux distributions and Windows Servers. Refer to the Supported Environments for full details.
5. What application servers is your software compatible with?
It is recommended to use the Tomcat bundle which is specifically packaged, configured and tested to run eXo Platform. Enterprise Plus subscribers can also install eXo Platform on JBoss EAP and Tomcat. Refer to the Supported Environments for full details.
6. Does eXo provide an API for integration to other software ?
eXo Platform has an integration API that is fully documented. You may want to start by reading the chapter about APIs under the Developers Guide in our software documentation.
7. Can you integrate with my Enterprise Directory or with my in-house User Management system?
Yes. eXo Platform ships with standard connectors for Active Directory and any LDAP-compliant directory. If your Identity Management system is not LDAP-compliant, a specific connector will need to be developed with the related Service Provider Interface.
8. Can I achieve Single Sign-On with eXo Platform?
Yes. eXo Platform comes with add-ons to support most popular SSO solutions such as CAS, SAML, OpenAM, etc. Refer to the Supported Environments for the full list. If your SSO solution is not listed, a specific integration will need to be developed with the related Service Provider Interface.
1. Using eXo can I have a few pages for guests and the rest of the features for our staff for Intranet?
Yes. All you have to do is tinker with permissions and set your public pages accessible to ‘anyone’.
2. Are there levels of access?
Yes. eXo Platform defines some roles by default: guest, user, administrator, contributor, publisher, space manager. You can define custom ones according to your specific needs.
3. Is it possible to have groups as well as individual permissions?
Yes. eXo Platform’s permission model allows to define ACLs that grant privileges to principals of type: user, group or role.
Scalability & Performance
1. How many concurrent users can you support?
This depends a lot on your infrastructure (network, bandwidth), hardware (CPUs, memory) and usage patterns. Performance tests on your actual production system will need to be carried out to ensure the system meets your performance requirements. As an indication, our own internal performance benchmarks in lab have demonstrated an ability to support reasonable response time for up to several thousand concurrent users per server node. Our tests are performed in a blueprint clustered deployment over commodity hardware and without any specific operating system tuning. Contact us for a detailed discussion of your needs.
2. My volume of hits per month will be very high. Can eXo Platform handle this?
Most probably yes. eXo Platform is designed to scale horizontally via clustering. Hence handling an increasing user load can be done by adding more nodes to your cluster.
3. How do I estimate the number of servers my production system will need?
Your actual server needs will highly depend on your infrastructure, usage patterns and high availability requirements. As a starting ballpark figure, we advise to plan for at least 1 server node per tier of 10,000 active user accounts. This estimate is based on our lab benchmarks for commonly observed collaborative patterns with 1% of users doing write operations and 10% doing read operations concurrently, with a mean think time of 20 seconds. A precise estimation of your production system’s performance will require running load tests in your environment. The eXo consulting team can help you carry out these tests with tools and methodologies at its disposal, estimate your needs and help you optimize and tune your system’s performance. Contact us for a detailed discussion of your needs.
4. How do you achieve High Availability?
High Availability can be achieved by redounding most components including data storage layers (file systems and databases). At eXo Platform’s level, clustering is required and one (or more) nodes must be passive. A switch should be implemented on the front-end server in order to redirect traffic when a node needs to be taken down (e.g. for software upgrades or backup). Note that for full safety, filesystem and database backups should be done on an offline system at the same time. Hence, the recommendation is to stop the system, save a snapshot and restart the system. This creates a downtime of usually less than 5 minutes.
Still have questions? Contact Us