The Staging Extension is an add-on that manages configuration and metadata upgrades and is used to transfer those elements from a staging environment to the production environment. For sure it will save you a lot of time when you are ready to move to production! This add-on, developed by professional eXo consultants, is freely available as a community add-on.
In eXo Platform 4, there are multiple configurations and metadata, which are used to manage its features and its behavior such as…
The staging environment
Before moving to production, any piece of software has to be tested in an environment similar to the final target, production environment. This environment is called a staging environment. This environment is used to test the initial setup and all upgrades. There are several kinds of upgrades:
- Platform upgrade: This is a hardware or OS upgrade.
- Software upgrade: This is a software upgrade with new files and binaries.
- Configuration and metadata upgrade: This type of upgrade is used to configure the behavior and features of the software.
The Staging Extension is an add-on that manages configuration and metadata upgrades and is used to transfer site data from a staging environment to the production environment. In eXo Platform 4, there are multiple configurations and metadata, which are used to manage its features and its behavior such as:
- Sites, pages and navigation items
- Site content structure: web content, documents, images, style sheet, etc.
- Document templates
- SCV and CLV application templates
- JCR NodeType and Namespace definitions
- JCR queries
- JCR actions
The Staging Extension is used to copy or update all of these elements from one environment to another using different protocols: SSH, SCP or REST. The extension is based on the GateIn Management tool.
Want to learn more?
You can download the add-on here or access the Staging Extension space on the eXo Community Website, where you’ll find additional resources on how to use this add-on and how it can help you get your Platform 4 into production.