JBoss Enterprise Portal Platform (EPP) is Red Hat’s portal product based on GateIn 3.2. It’s a great portal framework running on JBoss EAP. However, it does not come with all the content and social collaboration features of eXo Platform.
During the last few months, some people have started asking us if they could run some eXo components on top of EPP. While studying this request we realized that it wouldn’t be easy to deconstruct eXo to make it run on top of EPP. However, we found that it was quite easy to migrate a system running on EPP 5.2 to eXo Platform 4, thanks to our Staging Extension.
Here is how.
Why should I use eXo Platform 4?
Besides the very friendly user interface, eXo Platform 4 has many out-of-the-box features, such as a document management system, content management system, social intranet and enterprise collaboration tools.
Are EPP portlets compatible with eXo Platform 4?
eXo Platform 4 can run on JBoss EAP 6, while EPP 5.2 runs on JBoss EAP 5.
The migration consists of modifying the packaging for applications (EAR, WAR, etc.) so that it will be compatible with JBoss EAP 6/AS 7.
How can I migrate from JBoss EPP 5.2 to eXo Platform 4?
To migrate EPP 5.2 data, you need to use Version 1.0.x and 2.0.x of the Staging Extension.
This tool will allow you to copy:
- Sites: layout, pages and navigation
- Application Registry.
For IDM (users and groups), you can use the same IDM configuration and data source. All you need to do is to copy the data source configuration from EPP 5.2 to eXo Platform 4. Organization data does not need to be migrated.
What is the Staging extension?
This eXo add-on copies data and configurations from a GateIN compliant server (JPP, EPP or eXo Platform) to another server.
The add-on can also copy data from a staging server to a production server.
For more details about the Staging extension and its uses, refer to previous articles:
- Easily move from staging to production with the new Staging Extension for eXo Platform 4
- From staging to production in a few clicks with the Synchronization application
- Ease Your App Developments: How to Generate an Extension Configuration in 5 Steps
How can I use the Staging extension?
Follow the instructions detailed here to install the Staging extension.
You will need an SSH client to use it.
Also read the admin guide and the installation guide on the Wiki.
After deploying the Staging extension on both EPP 5 (Version 1.0) and eXo Platform 4 (Version 2.0), follow these instructions:
1. Start the EPP server.
2. Connect using an SSH client:
ssh -p 2001 root@localhost
3. Export the site resources. These resources contain all portal, group and user sites and pages:
export -f /any_path/mop.zip
Note: The exported file will contain the files, and for all web sites.
4. Export the application registry resources:
export -f /any_path/registry.zip
Note: The exported file will contain configuration files that can be used in a WAR configuration extension.
5. If you have defined new gadgets, you will have to export the gadget resources:
export -f /any_path/gadget.zip
Note: The exported file will contain the JCR export of each gadget. All remote and local gadgets will be exported.
6. Stop the JBoss EPP server.
7. Copy your custom applications (portlets) and GateIN extensions into eXo Platform 4 (EAR, JAR, WAR, etc.).
Important: If you use eXo Platform 4 with Apache Tomcat 7, then copy the custom JAR inand custom WAR in .
8. Copy the IDM data source configuration (for example) from the old JBoss EPP 5.2 server to the eXo Platform 4 server.
9. Start the eXo Platform 4 server.
10. Connect using an SSH client:
ssh -p 2001 root@localhost
11. Import the gadget resources that you exported from EPP:
import -f /same_path/gadget.zip
12. Import the application registry resources that you exported from EPP:
import -f /same_path/registry.zip
13. Import the site resources that you exported from EPP:
import -f /same_path/mop.zip
14. Test your modifications.
That’s all you need to do. Now you should be able to see your portal working with eXo Platform 4. Enjoy!
If you already have a project and wish to upgrade to eXo Platform, you also can contact us for more details.
And don’t hesitate to connect to the eXo Community Forums and post a topic if you have any question, you will be impressed 😉